FAQ » Hosting
What is an express transfer?
A common problem when migrating a domain name from one server to another is the 24 to 48 hours it takes for DNS to fully "propagate " or simply put, spread the updates across the globe.
This is a common issue where although the site has been transfered from one server to another, the domain may be pointing at the old server until the DNS propagation has reached the name servers you're using.
However, the cPanel and WHM hosting platform has a solution for this called "Express Transfer " which is designed to mitigate this problem.
Using the "Express Transfer " option will automatically changes the IP address to the new server while redirecting queries that go to the old server to the new server.
An express transfer moves the specified cPanel account or accounts to a new server, and performs the following actions on the source server:
- Updates the account's A record to point to the destination server.
- Changes the domain's nameserver entry to point to the destination server.
- Updates the MX records to point to the destination server.
- Adds a redirect for the Account Moved page (cgi-sys/movingpage.cgi) for the following file extensions: .dynamiccontent .pl .plx .perl .cgi .php .php4 .php5 .php6 .php3 .shmtl
- Blocks SSH and FTP logins to the source server for the transferred accounts.
Last updated: 2015-07-01