FAQ » Shells
How do I log into my shell account?
As most people use Windows, you can download a piece of software called Putty, which will allow you to connect to the server via SSH, and issues commands to your shell account. Putty can be downloaded here: http://www.phurix.co.uk/downloads.html
1. Download and open putty.
2. Enter the hostname of the server in the "hostname or IP address" box (eg: purple.phurix.com)
3. Make sure it is port 22, and uses the SSH protocol.
4. Press the "Open" button at the bottom.
Once you have done this, you will get a blank screen.
5. It will prompt you for your username, saying "Login as:", enter your shell username and press the enter/return key on your keyboard.
6. Next it will ask you for your password by saying "Password:", simply enter your password, and press the enter/return key on your keyboard. (Note: The password you enter will not display as you type it, it may appear like it is not doing anything, just enter your password and carry on).
At this point you should be greeted by the welcome script.
From here, you can type "help" to view the basic commands.